RCR lands Greenough River solar farm expansion deal


Built in 2012, the 10MW Greenough River in Western Australia was the first large-scale solar farm in the country. Now, Sydney-based EPC contractor RCR Tomlinson has been entrusted with developing an additional 30MW of solar PV at the site.

Under the contract worth $60 million, RCR will be responsible for the engineering, procurement, construction and commissioning of the extension project. The works are expected to kick off immediately, targeting completion in the second quarter of 2019.    

“The award of this project enables us to diversify our traditional offerings in Western Australia and also expands on our ever-increasing footprint of solar projects across Australia,” said RCR Managing Director & CEO, Paul Dalgleish, adding that the company is well-placed to respond to the increased activity in the renewable energy market in WA from its position as a market leader.

The 10-MW first stage facility was developed by joint venture partners Synergy and GE Energy Financial Services and has been generating electricity since 2012. Its output is purchased by WA Water Corp for its Southern Seawater desalination plant.

The project’s expansion was originally announced in November 2017, when Synergy was looking to partner with Dutch Infrastructure Fund and establish a green power fund, which would attract private capital and help the state-owned energy retailer meet its 2020 renewable energy commitments by sourcing up to additional 300 MW of green power within three years.

Alongside the Albany Grasmere Wind Farm and the Warradarge Wind Farm, the Greenough River now belongs to the newly formed Bright Energy Investments vehicle, 80.1% of which is owned by Cbus Super and Dutch Infrastructure Fund, and the remaining 19.9% stake by Synergy.

This content is protected by copyright and may not be reused. If you want to cooperate with us and would like to reuse some of our content, please contact: editors@pv-magazine.com.