Currently the biggest such system in New South Wales, the Riverina and Darlington Point batteries have now been completed. Using Tesla’s Megapack technology and grid forming advanced inverters, the total capacity of the project is 150 MW / 300 MWh.
Built in the state’s Riverina region, in the southwest, the project is made up of three separate battery facilities:
- 60 MW / 120 MWh Riverina Energy Storage System 1 (output contracted to Shell Energy)
- 65 MW / 130 MWh Riverina Energy Storage System 2 (output contracted to EnergyAustralia)
- 25 MW / 50 MWh Darlington Point Energy Storage System (output contracted to EnergyAustralia with grant funding provided by ARENA and the NSW Government)
As outlined, 100% of the project’s output has been contracted to Shell Energy and EnergyAustralia for the next 10 years.
The project received funding from the Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA) and NSW government, which jointly provided $13.1 million to support the project’s use of advanced inverters which can increase hosting capacity in the region.
Exactly which inverter brand the project uses is not mentioned, but Edify Energy’s Chief Executive, John Cole, said the inverters operate in virtual synchronous generator mode, meaning they provide vital system strength services previously only afforded by fossil generators.
The project is 90% owned by Federation Asset Management, a fund manager specialising in private equity assets in the energy transition. The remaining 10% is owned by Edify Energy, which has developed and will operate the project.
Federation Asset Management said the Riverina and Darlington Point energy storage systems will be a seed asset for its Sustainable Australian Real Asset fund (SARA), a pure play Australian energy transition fund currently open to institutional investors.
This content is protected by copyright and may not be reused. If you want to cooperate with us and would like to reuse some of our content, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hopefully it was built above any flood that might come that way and hopefully it won’t overheat because it get hot out that way in Summer.
By submitting this form you agree to pv magazine using your data for the purposes of publishing your comment.
Your personal data will only be disclosed or otherwise transmitted to third parties for the purposes of spam filtering or if this is necessary for technical maintenance of the website. Any other transfer to third parties will not take place unless this is justified on the basis of applicable data protection regulations or if pv magazine is legally obliged to do so.
You may revoke this consent at any time with effect for the future, in which case your personal data will be deleted immediately. Otherwise, your data will be deleted if pv magazine has processed your request or the purpose of data storage is fulfilled.
Further information on data privacy can be found in our Data Protection Policy.